The Peck Farm

The Peck farm was located just west of Brentwood,in the area where Pine Aire Drive is now.It was the home of William L.Peck,who came to Brentwood from Connecticut in 1887.He purchased over one thousand acres of land
(which was part of the old Francis M.A. Wicks homestead)from Edward A.Lovell in September of that year,and thus the farm was born.
It was very successful.But there were labor problems in 1893.Nine workers at the fertilizing dumps went on strike for a raise of twenty-five cents a day(they were annoyed by the mosquitos which the dumps attracted).A settlement was reached,with the men getting a twenty percent raise.
William Peck died on November 12,1903,and the farm was inherited by his two sons,Benjamin and William.They were both politicians and horse manure magnates in New York City.Under them,the farm became a center of the City's manure business.They had exclusive contracts with the City departments,which gave them a monopoly(The manure
was shipped from the farm to New York via a special ten-can spur built by the Long Island Railway Co.It went to a slip owned by the brothers on East 34th Street).The Pecks charged $4.43 a ton for manure and $3.50 a ton for fertilizer,
both with a freight charge of 93 cents a ton.They sold sheep and horse manure,as well as Canada ashes and agricutural lime.All this made them very wealthy,but the business ended around 1922.
Meanwhile,the Pecks consigned their farm land to the William L.Peck Realty comapny in June 1914.It was then subdivided and sold.The brothers both married,but had no children.They died at about the same time,in their thirties.
By then,their money and assets had somehow vanished,leaving their widows in modest circumstances.No one ever
found out what had happened.

More pages