Suffolk ststion

Suffolk Station was a similar building to Thompson's Station,but located a few miles east of it.It was part of the railroad extension to Yaphank,which was built in 1844.The telegraph office moved there,and a post office was established on June 15,1857,with Ira L.Hommedieu as postmaster.It also had "the Smith Hotel",according to an old map.Years later,Mrs.Frank E.Nichols recalled that this hotel was operated by in the old railway building by Captain Lay Smith,
who came to Long Island after many years at sea.The hotel featured a popular bar service.
Suffolk Station survived for several years after Thompson's Station closed down in 1869.The telegraph office and railroad depot closed in 1873.The post office remained open until January 7,1874,when its operations and records were transferred to Central Islip

More pages