Brentwood Fire District

Andy Wittman Podcast
Brentwood Fire Department Podcast

The Brentwood Fire District was incorporated August 1899, and the Fire Department was formed in the same year. The Department was first known as the Brentwood Hook and Ladder Company. They built a small frame Fire House on First Avenue with money that they borrowed from Dr. Ross. The size of the Fire District was one mile in all directions from the Fire House, however many fires were fought in the hamlet of Pine Aire and in what is now known as East Brentwood. There was a large bell on the Fire House that sounded the alarm to alert firefighters (Vamps) about a fire. The Vamps would have to run to the Fire House and pull the Hook and Ladder Truck to the fire. Sometimes they were lucky to have a farmer show up with a team of horses to pull the truck. In 1926 the Department was reorganized and Theodore Freund was elected as its First Fire Chief. The firehouse was modernized and a motorized truck was purchased with a loan from Dr. Ross. On March 30, 1928 the firehouse burned down and many of the records were destroyed but the old Hook and Ladder and the new Chemical Truck were saved. The old building was replaced with a two story brick house on the same site which still is in use today on First Street across from the old train station. The brick fire house is still being used today for physical fitness training and for fire prevention offices. In 1929-32 the department answered between 38-46 alarms, the majority of these being Brush and Woods fires started by Steam Engines of the Railroad. The volunteers did not have the Pumpers carrying hundreds of gallons of water and the booster hoses we have today. They fought fires with Indian cans, extinguishers and brooms. Some fires lasted for days. For nine years, 1945-1954, the Department’s most active member was a Dalmatian dog named Smokey. Smokey lived with fireman Bill Plage on Madison Avenue and when the alarm sounded, Smokey would race from home to the fire house. Usually he was the first one there. Smokey would ride in the front seat of the first truck out and he would choose who would drive and who wouldn’t. At house fires he would be the first one up the ladder…but…someone would have to go up and bring him down. At brush fires he would jump off the truck and put the first water on the fire. Smokey had a son named Booster, who did not share his father’s enthusiasm; preferring to stay home and sleep. In 1955 a new Fire House was built on Fourth Street, around the corner from the old firehouse. The new firehouse is used for the Dispatcher’s office, the fire engines and all the fire equipment. The old firehouse is used for fitness training and fire prevention. As the size of the fire district increased to 22 square miles, it was necessary to form several companies. As of 2007 the Brentwood Volunteer Fire Department has five engine companies, including its headquarters on Fourth Street, that serve approximately 24 square miles covering Brentwood, North Bay Shore, Edgewood and Baywood . In 1998 the department celebrated its 100th year of service to the Brentwood community. A. Bennett

More pages